Subject: Re: bug#33794: 26.1; electric-pair-mode breaks auto-newline minor mode of cc-mode

From: Beatrix Klebe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 23:41:38 -0500

I didn’t intend to kick the hornet’s nest of ideological factions here, I
was honestly just wondering if this was actually expected behavior of these
two modes together and if not if the fix was trivial. The answer seems to
be that it is indeed a bug and the fix is non-trivial, and furthermore
while I appreciate attempts to hotfix it, those are not solutions of the
quality I was expecting, (I encountered those already while doing my own
research before I filed this bug report and I found them unsatisfactory
both then and now) and furthermore I feel like I should be open in stating
that I feel somewhat condescended to. I know what c-toggle-auto-newline is,
I also know that functions prefixed with “toggle” are functions that toggle
a mode or setting internally, in this case a minor mode called auto-newline
(
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/ccmode/Auto_002dnewlines.html)
I was about five minutes away from diving into the source of these two
packages to fix it myself, as I have spent probably 10 hours reasearching
this problem at this point. I’m sorry if I misunderstood something, I was
mainly looking for clarification that what I was experiencing was a bug,
and it is beginning to seem like there is none to be had here. My
apologies.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 10:22 PM João Távora <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Hello, Beatrix.
> >
> > As maintainer of CC Mode, I earnestly recommend you NOT to follow João's
> > suggestion.  It will not work, and will waste your time.
>
> What, exactly, will not work?
>
> > Even if it appears to work, you will end up picking out bugs for an
> > indeterminate period.
>
> What bugs?  If you know of any, it would be good to report them, right?
>
> > Basically, electric-pair-mode as it is currently built is incompatible
> > with CC Mode, as I have pointed out here, albeit somewhat
> > undiplomatically.
> >
> > I suggest you do nothing until tempers amongst Emacs developers have
> > cooled down, and hopefully a genuine solution to the bug has been worked
> > out and implemented.
>
> If you don't like electric-layout-mode, don't use it.  I'm trying to
> develop an alternative to c-toggle-auto-newline within the
> electric-*-mode frame.  It's an experiment which I don't even know if
> Stefan will agree to, but it seems to work.  If Beatrix wants to
> cooperate, why shouldn't she?
>
> I'm not asking you to nuke c-toggle-auto-newline or anything, but should
> we all be forced to use it?  I don't think it's sensible in a free
> software project, Alan (and my temper is quite cool when saying this
> :-))
>
> Again, I said I don't have anything against making eletric-pair-mode
> compatible with c-toggle-auto-newline if someone comes up with a good
> solution that doesn't break e-p-m for other modes.  I will not invest
> time in looking into that solution, but you or someone else may, of
> course.
>
> In the meantime let people explore alternatives, right?
>
> João
>