Subject: Re: bug#33794: 26.1; electric-pair-mode breaks auto-newline minor mode of cc-mode

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 03:22:47 +0000

Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello, Beatrix.
>
> As maintainer of CC Mode, I earnestly recommend you NOT to follow João's
> suggestion.  It will not work, and will waste your time.

What, exactly, will not work?

> Even if it appears to work, you will end up picking out bugs for an
> indeterminate period.

What bugs?  If you know of any, it would be good to report them, right?

> Basically, electric-pair-mode as it is currently built is incompatible
> with CC Mode, as I have pointed out here, albeit somewhat
> undiplomatically.
>
> I suggest you do nothing until tempers amongst Emacs developers have
> cooled down, and hopefully a genuine solution to the bug has been worked
> out and implemented.

If you don't like electric-layout-mode, don't use it.  I'm trying to
develop an alternative to c-toggle-auto-newline within the
electric-*-mode frame.  It's an experiment which I don't even know if
Stefan will agree to, but it seems to work.  If Beatrix wants to
cooperate, why shouldn't she?

I'm not asking you to nuke c-toggle-auto-newline or anything, but should
we all be forced to use it?  I don't think it's sensible in a free
software project, Alan (and my temper is quite cool when saying this
:-))

Again, I said I don't have anything against making eletric-pair-mode
compatible with c-toggle-auto-newline if someone comes up with a good
solution that doesn't break e-p-m for other modes.  I will not invest
time in looking into that solution, but you or someone else may, of
course.

In the meantime let people explore alternatives, right?

João