Subject: bug#33794: 26.1; electric-pair-mode breaks auto-newline minor mode of cc-mode

From: Beatrix Klebe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:38:41 -0500

When using cc-mode, turning on electric-pair-mode causes the
auto-newline minor mode to stop inserting newlines where expected. This
is relevant to the formatting of C# code with the Allman/BSD brace style
in particular, though it would be nice if these modes specifically did
work together.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS
appkit-1348.17 Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2511))
 of 2018-05-30 built on builder10-10.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
Recent messages:
Saving file /Users/bea/.emacs.d/lisp/dotnet.el...
Wrote /Users/bea/.emacs.d/lisp/dotnet.el
; expected
Undo!
; expected
Undo! [2 times]
; expected
Auto-saving...
; expected [2 times]
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C#//la

Minor modes in effect:
  smartparens-global-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  omnisharp-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail smartparens-config warnings
smartparens-text smartparens-ruby smartparens autoload radix-tree
lisp-mnt tar-mode mm-archive message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils network-stream
starttls url-http tls gnutls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap pp cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
vc-git diff-mode projectile grep ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
omnisharp omnisharp-unit-test-actions omnisharp-code-structure
omnisharp-server-installation omnisharp-format-actions
omnisharp-solution-actions omnisharp-helm-integration
omnisharp-navigation-actions omnisharp-current-symbol-actions
omnisharp-auto-complete-actions omnisharp-server-actions
omnisharp-http-utils omnisharp-utils omnisharp-server-management
omnisharp-settings f s popup dired dired-loaddefs thingatpt ido
csharp-mode imenu compile comint ansi-color cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
parinfer-ext parinfer ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff mode-local parinferlib
rainbow-delimiters windows-config macos-config exec-path-from-shell
org-mode-config development proof-general-config dotnet elec-pair ocaml
backup editor delsel flycheck-config flycheck json map find-func rx
subr-x company-config delight advice company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags xref project ring company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode
company-clang company-semantic company-eclim company-template
company-bbdb company edmacro kmacro pcase ui hl-line
display-line-numbers zenburn-theme package-config auto-package-update
dash use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core cl-extra help-mode finder-inf proof-site
proof-autoloads pg-vars info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 500415 57879)
 (symbols 48 41866 532)
 (miscs 40 198 1263)
 (strings 32 116702 6337)
 (string-bytes 1 3303823)
 (vectors 16 61571)
 (vector-slots 8 1021437 30984)
 (floats 8 135 577)
 (intervals 56 1409 585)
 (buffers 992 21))