Subject: Re: bug#33794: 26.1; electric-pair-mode breaks auto-newline minor mode of cc-mode

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 12:44:18 +0000

Hello, João.

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 21:38:29 +0000, João Távora wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > If I were to dig in to e-p-m, make fixes, and commit them, I suspect
> > you would be somewhat annoyed.

> If you propose changes to e-p-m that:

> * don't break any (more) unit tests;

> * don't introduce new interfaces to special case cc-mode;

> * Stefan accepts, since the self-insert-command-hook part was his
>   responsibility entirely, (as I have tried to explain a million times.)

> Then I don't see why I would be annoyed.

> (You could of course come to the faint realization that maybe there is
> the off-chance that there exists a glimmer of possibility that in a
> remote part of the multiverse it is quite possible that a minute part
> the problem lies in cc-mode.  But no, that is preposterous! let us not
> even consider that heresy!  It's decades old after all, it MUST be
> correct, forever and absolutely!)

The problem we're dealing with is in the interface between CC Mode and
electric-pair-mode.  Naturally, both sides of this putative interface
will need adapting.

>From my point of view, what is missing from e-p-m is an interface usable
by functions which call self-insert-command programmatically, as CC Mode
does.  A function to insert the matching character and otherwise process
it.  Or something like that, I haven't fully worked it out.

Sadly, at the moment it's looking like the easiest way to fix bug #33794
would be to duplicate the functionality of electric-pair-mode inside CC
Mode, as I've already done partially.  I really don't want to do that,
and you probably don't want me to do that either.

[ .... ]

> João

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).