Subject: Bug: undocumented feature (algorithm) for version-sort (include on manpage)

From: L A Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 23:11:49 -0800

Recently there was some discussion on inconsistencies in
how version sort worked and some people *basically*, said:

   "it's not our fault, it's Debian's algorithm, you wanna
   change it, convince them."

Um...fine.  Except that it is a Gnu tool, not a Debian tool,
meaning that if one is going to put a Debian sort into a
general purpose tool like "sort", then the algorithm really
needs to be documented.

This means there is no way to verify consistent behavior
from as the utility matures and no way to write an
independent, auditable test case to assure that the sort 
algorithm, operates with consistency from release to release
as well as w/r/t other included sort algorithms.

The request here is for the algorithm used by 'version-sort'
be included in sort's manpage.  This should document
sort's features for reference and use by users who are using
the utility in its native, cmd-line environment.  

Also of importance: that the documentation should be include
with the source and installable with the program executable.

thanks,
linda