Subject: bug#33786: Bug: undocumented feature (algorithm) for version-sort (include on manpage)

From: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 01:23:07 -0700

Hello,

On 2018-12-18 1:06 a.m., L A Walsh wrote:
> So undocumented features are considered wishlist items
> in Gnu?

In your message you wrote:

On 2018-12-18 12:11 a.m., L A Walsh wrote:
> The request here is for the algorithm used by 'version-sort' be
> included in sort's manpage.

Thus it is a request for a future improvement - not a report about
a bug in an existing program or a bug (=incorrect information) in
the current manual.

In the parlance of the DebBugs system, it is a "wishlist" item
(as opposed to a bug), see here:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/Developer.html#severities

This item remains open ( https://bugs.gnu.org/33786 ).
It is not closed as "notabug", and not rejected as "wontfix".
Thus, it will stay active  until someone takes the time to address the
issue of documenting the algorithm, or until it is decided that
there's no interest in such change.

---

Regarding "undocumented feature", as I wrote in the previous message,
the algorithm is well documented in other place online (and indeed,
as you pointed, not documented in exact details in the coreutils
manual).

I think this is quite different from the typical definition of an
"undocumented feature" (e.g. a hidden feature that is not intended
to be used by most end-users).

---

Then again,
If you or anyone else have concrete suggestions to improve the manual,
please do send a patch.

regards,
  - assaf