Subject: bug#33781: tramp tests abort on hydra

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:52:39 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Glenn,

>>> Time will tell, but I think I have worked around this by simply putting
>>> sed earlier in the PATH on hydra. (I wonder if this was causing other
>>> test failures.)
>
> It did work, and also fixed part of bug#33735.
> Now tramp-test32-environment-variables fails, see eg
> https://hydra.nixos.org/build/85984005

I will check.

>>  (when (getenv "EMACS_HYDRA_CI")
>> +  (customize-set-variable 'tramp-chunksize 3072)
>>    (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path))
>
> This doesn't seem to help. Nor did 30720.

Hmm, maybe this is not the problem. It could be, that the shell command
is too long, when setting $PATH. What does

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
# getconf LINE_MAX
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

return?

> (Debugging these incredibly slow tests is painful.)

Well, I prefer traces. See tramp--test-instrument-test-case and
tramp--test-message, and how they are applied for example in
tramp-test42-asynchronous-requests.

Best regards, Michael.