Subject: Re: bug#33781: tramp tests abort on hydra

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:33:47 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>> The first problem was, that `tramp-remote-path' has lost its autoload
>> cookie. Requiring tramp-sh is a valid workaround, but the better
>> solution is to bring the autoload cookie back into place. Which I did.
>
> That's a shame, I always like to see variables get un-autoloaded.

Same here. Well, the variables go to tramp-loaddefs.el, which is less
annoying than loaddefs.el, isn't it?

The problem is setting a user option. If you want to set just a value,
it works fine:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
# emacs -Q --eval '(customize-set-variable (quote tramp-verbose) 6)'
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This doesn't work, if you need the initial value of the user option in
order to compute a new value:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
# emacs -Q --eval '(customize-set-variable (quote tramp-remote-path) (add-to-list (quote tramp-remote-path) (quote tramp-own-remote-path)))'

=> customize-set-variable: Symbol’s value as variable is void: tramp-remote-path
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

If I would know a trick how to apply the latter one, I could get rid of
the respective autoloads.

Best regards, Michael.