Subject: Re: bug#33781: tramp tests abort on hydra

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 13:29:52 -0500

Michael Albinus wrote:

>> Time will tell, but I think I have worked around this by simply putting
>> sed earlier in the PATH on hydra. (I wonder if this was causing other
>> test failures.)

It did work, and also fixed part of bug#33735.
Now tramp-test32-environment-variables fails, see eg
https://hydra.nixos.org/build/85984005

> Thanks. I'm wondering, why there are so many and so long directory names
> in $PATH. 

This is how Nix works. Each package has its own directory.
This is not specific to the hydra instance.

> Doesn't there exist default directories like /bin, /usr/bin etc which
> could be used instead?

They exist but don't contain the binaries.

> And are all those directories needed? 

Yes.

> I doubt, for example, that we
> need /nix/store/gc7p17ps5h3vlrbflhqps7ypnjfhnic5-bazaar-2.7.0/bin

This is how we get bzr so that we can run the vc-bzr tests.

>  (when (getenv "EMACS_HYDRA_CI")
> +  (customize-set-variable 'tramp-chunksize 3072)
>    (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path))

This doesn't seem to help. Nor did 30720.
(Debugging these incredibly slow tests is painful.)