Subject: bug#33781: tramp tests abort on hydra

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 14:21:02 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Glenn,

>> On further poking around, I think the issue might be that remote PATH is
>> getting truncated to ~ 4096 characters, which happens to lose sed.
>
> Time will tell, but I think I have worked around this by simply putting
> sed earlier in the PATH on hydra. (I wonder if this was causing other
> test failures.)

Thanks. I'm wondering, why there are so many and so long directory names
in $PATH. Tramp takes the setting over from the current environment, and
does (taken from your full log):

Doesn't there exist default directories like /bin, /usr/bin etc which
could be used instead? And are all those directories needed? I doubt,
for example, that we need /nix/store/gc7p17ps5h3vlrbflhqps7ypnjfhnic5-bazaar-2.7.0/bin

> I did not investigate the cause of the 4096 truncation, but perhaps it
> is https://debbugs.gnu.org/12440, 6149, etc.

Perhaps. Maybe we shall set tramp-chunksize, for example

diff --git a/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el b/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el
index 57b67a0bfe..80939934e0 100644
--- a/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el
+++ b/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el
@@ -107,6 +107,7 @@ tramp-test-temporary-file-directory
 
 ;; This should happen on hydra only.
 (when (getenv "EMACS_HYDRA_CI")
+  (customize-set-variable 'tramp-chunksize 3072)
   (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path))
 
 (defvar tramp--test-enabled-checked nil

Could you pls check this setting?

Best regards, Michael.