Subject: bug#33758: No longer possible to run ./pre-inst-env guix without compiling first

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 12:03:16 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> We could definitely improve the "running from git" section with some
> kind of best-practice.
>
> e.g. keep close to master
> run clean-go if you get weird guile errors during make (especially after
> merging of core-updates)
> etc.

It’s perfectly fine to stray from the ’master’ branch.  The reason why
you need “make clean-go” is due to ABI changes.  I’d rather see this
class of problems disappear with changes to the Makefile or compiler
checks than to add more noise.

Note that you don’t have this problem if you compile everything from
source after a fresh checkout.  You only get this when you reuse
compiled .go files that were built for a different ABI.

-- 
Ricardo