Subject: Re: bug#33755: error: execlp: No such file or directory from guix environment

From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:18:32 -0500

Hi,

Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi, this is because we have a -- option. "guix environment guix --
> ad-hoc libgit2" means you want to run "ad-hoc libgit2" in a guix
> environment. The error message tells you that it can't find an ad-hoc
> executable in that environment. There is no "ad-hoc" package involved
> here…

This is true, but I would argue that the error message is not quite as
clear as you say.  Specifically, it does not mention “ad-hoc” at all.
I’ve attached a patch that so that the command

    $ guix environment guix -- ad-hoc

prints

    guix environment: error: ad-hoc: command not found

and exits with status 127.  (In imitation of “bash -c 'ad-hoc'”.)

Thoughts?

> Le 15 décembre 2018 08:09:37 GMT+01:00, [email-masked] a écrit :
>>Hi
>>
>>Is this a bug?
>>
>>sdb@antelope ~/src/guix$ guix environment guix -- ad-hoc libgit2
>>texinfo
>>guix environment: error: execlp: No such file or directory
>>
>>I meant to type: 
>>sdb@antelope ~/src/guix$ guix environment guix --ad-hoc libgit2 texinfo
>>
>>I would have liked an error saying "error: package ad-hoc not found -
>>cannot add it to the environment"

-- Tim