Subject: 26.1; frame display freeze

From: [email-masked] (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:32:59 +0100 (CET)

To reproduce:

Situation 1:

- ubuntu 18.04  ethernet to an intranet (10/8), and wifi to the internet
  via NATP (172.20/16).

- emacs 26.1 compiled with:

    configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-x --without-ns --with-gif=no \
    --with-x-toolkit=no --with-gnutls=yes --without-pop --with-mailutils \
    && make && make install

    (I still have the configuration and compilation logs if needed)

- open an xterm:

- emacs -Q & disown

Situation 2, thru ssh -X -Y:

- ubuntu 18.04  ethernet to an intranet (10/8), and wifi to the internet
  via NATP (172.20/16).

- virtual box 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806

- a vm running ubuntu 14.04
  (two eth interfaces configured, one to the host eth, another to the
  host wifi).

- on the ubuntu 14.04 compile emacs 26.1 with:

    configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-x --without-ns --with-gif=no \
    --with-x-toolkit=no --with-gnutls=yes --without-pop --with-mailutils \
    && make && make install

    (I still have the configuration and compilation logs if needed)

- from ubuntu 18.04 launch an xterm:

- ssh -X -Y  to the ubuntu 14.04 in the virtual box

- emacs -Q & disown

In either situation:

this opens an emacs frame in the X server running on the ubuntu 18.04
host.

- M-x shell RET while sleep 1 ; do echo $((i++)) ; done

this displays a new line every second.

- miniaturize the emacs frame with C-z.

- unminiaturize the emacs frame (either M-TAB to the window
  manager, or clicking on the icon of emacs).

- the frame appears as it was saved, but no update of the display occurs
  anymore.  No new lines from the shell command appears.

However, things still work without display.

We can C-x 5 2 to open a new frame, and see that the inferior process
was still running.

Sometimes (notably if we keep working with a new frame), it unfreezes
after about 80 seconds, or 600 seconds, but I've seen it frozen for more
than 1000 seconds without unfreeze before I killed
it with (delete-frame (cadr (frame-list))).

Situation 1:

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2018-10-16 built on L0253344
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Recent messages:
Quit
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
<mode-line> <C-mouse-1> is undefined
Entering debugger...
Back to top level
(#<frame live 0x46fcf20> #<frame *scratch* 0x13a1c30>)
Entering debugger...
Back to top level
#<frame *scratch* 0x13a1c30>
nil

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-x --without-ns --with-gif=no
 --with-x-toolkit=no --with-gnutls=yes --without-pop --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
OLDXMENU X11 THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived
epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra
thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode easymenu cl-print byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv debug shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 108594 7693)
 (symbols 48 21518 2)
 (miscs 40 92 258)
 (strings 32 32188 1261)
 (string-bytes 1 850344)
 (vectors 16 15426)
 (vector-slots 8 502373 14378)
 (floats 8 67 93)
 (intervals 56 644 131)
 (buffers 992 16))

Situation 2:

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2018-11-05 built on vm-u1404
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

Recent messages:
Quit
(Shell command succeeded with no output) [2 times]
Type y, n, ! or SPC (the space bar): 
Please type y, n, ! or SPC (the space bar):  [2 times]
Quit [2 times]
next-line: End of buffer
Quit
(Shell command succeeded with no output) [2 times]
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.  
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-x --without-ns --with-gif=no
 --with-x-toolkit=no --with-gnutls=yes --without-pop --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE
XFT ZLIB OLDXMENU X11 THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Apropos

Minor modes in effect:
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-replace-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-autoaway-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-decoding-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/pjb/src/public/emacs/scratch hides /home/pjb/emacs/emacs-utils/scratch
/home/pjb/emacs/s hides /home/pjb/emacs/s/s
/home/pjb/emacs/emacs-utils/utils hides /home/pjb/emacs/emacs-cl/src/utils
/home/pjb/emacs/coffee-mode/test/test-helper hides /home/pjb/emacs/emacs-gradle-mode/test/test-helper
/home/pjb/src/public/emacs/scratch hides /home/pjb/emacs/emacs-utils/examples/scratch
/home/pjb/src/public/emacs/scratch hides /home/pjb/emacs/emacs-utils/parser-pres/scratch
/home/pjb/emacs/enhanced-ruby-mode/enh-ruby-mode hides /home/pjb/.emacs.d/elpa/enh-ruby-mode-20180330/enh-ruby-mode
/home/pjb/emacs/paredit hides /home/pjb/.emacs.d/elpa/paredit-24/paredit
/home/pjb/emacs/emacs-gradle-mode/features/support/env hides /usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/env
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/textmodes/rst
/home/pjb/emacs/enhanced-ruby-mode/test/helper hides /usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/helper
/home/pjb/emacs/emacs-utils/thunk hides /usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/thunk

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug help-fns radix-tree novice yasnippet
skeleton tabify man rect sh-script executable pcmpl-unix misearch
multi-isearch org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir
org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m asn1-mode trace s ob-dot
ob-latex server find-lisp textmate highlight-indentation
smartparens-config smartparens-javascript smartparens-text
smartparens-html smartparens-ruby smartparens enh-ruby-mode android-mode
inf-lisp slime-media slime-indentation slime-cl-indent slime-mrepl
inferior-slime slime-hyperdoc slime-sprof slime-asdf slime-fancy
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime
flycheck rx subr-x dash flymake-proc flymake lisp-mnt gud apropos etags
xref project arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec slime-autoloads
erc-truncate erc-track erc-services erc-networks erc-ring erc-replace
erc-netsplit erc-match erc-pcomplete erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp
erc-join erc-autoaway paren grep delsel image-file vc vc-dispatcher
canlock freerdp-c-style cl-indent w3m doc-view image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems warnings w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon
w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load jka-compr org-element avl-tree
generator org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs auto-complete-config auto-complete
popup bash-completion iso-transl avoid rst compile emacs-uptime debug
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc
nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win cus-edit cus-start cus-load
rmailsum rmailsort asm-mode pjb-constants pjb-cl-magic pcase
pjb-echo-keys pjb-erc erc-log pjb-make-depends pjb-erc-filter
pjb-erc-speak pjb-speak erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp
pjb-mail sendmail pjb-pgp pgp pjb-shell pjb-work pjb-xresources pjb-thi
pjb-c-style pjb-java pjb-http pjb-objc-edit paredit semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
pjb-objc-ide cedet pjb-objc-parser pjb-objc-gen android-classes
mhtml-mode css-mode smie color eww mm-url gnus nnheader wid-edit
url-queue shr svg xml js json map imenu flyspell ispell pl1 pjb-cvs
pjb-dot pjb-graph pjb-class pjb-cvspass pjb-i2p-expression
pjb-s2p-expression pjb-layers pjb-roman pjb-server pjb-queue pjb-banks
pjb-bourse pjb-object pjb-euro pjb-html pjb-emacs cookie1 morse fortune
sgml-mode dom picture browse-url pjb-sources edmacro kmacro filecache
add-log cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs forms forms-mode pjb-utilities
pjb-font pjb-selftrade pjb-strings pjb-list pjb-cl eieio-compat
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func cl-extra help-mode
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode elec-pair disp-table time goto-addr
thingatpt tramp-sh cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring advice
parse-time cl mm-archive message dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils
network-stream starttls url-http tls gnutls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache
url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap epg finder-inf
auto-complete-autoloads company-autoloads info emms-autoloads
enh-ruby-mode-autoloads flycheck-autoloads
highlight-indentation-autoloads inf-ruby-autoloads paredit-autoloads
pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads popup-autoloads smartparens-autoloads
dash-autoloads textmate-autoloads package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1276864 187044)
 (symbols 48 71024 2)
 (miscs 40 444 1369)
 (strings 32 304356 4714)
 (string-bytes 1 7435607)
 (vectors 16 99918)
 (vector-slots 8 2413499 47512)
 (floats 8 930 1161)
 (intervals 56 40675 384)
 (buffers 992 33)
 (heap 1024 109542 3003))