Subject: RE: bug#3370: 23.0.94; `comment-region' indents comment chars inappropriately

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 00:01:58 -0700

> > Or perhaps it would have been better putting it back to plain if
> > Richard's new indent-or-triple option was found to not be a suitable
> > default.  I'm not sure that Dan looked into the history when he
> > changed it to indent.
> 
> Maybe.  Could Dan or Richard weigh in on this?
> 
> Personally, all else being equal,

Why would everything else be equal? What's wrong with considering what Emacs has
always done, and perhaps even thinking about breaking existing code (such as
what I reported)? Everything else is not equal.

> I think `indent' is a better comment
> style.  For instance, all the Emacs sources use that style.

I don't know what `comment-style' is, so it's difficult for me to discuss it.
There is no doc for it that explains anything - see bug #2271.

What do you mean by "all the Emacs sources use that style"? I was guessing from
your previous mail that `comment-style' somehow controls `comment-region' (which
is what this bug report is about), which performs an action. How can static
source code be said to "use that style"?

If you are referring to ;; always being indented instead of starting a line
(which is not what I reported about), then no, there are plenty of source code
lines that start with ;; - in file headers, for instance.