Subject: bug#33653: 27.0.50; Change Gnus obarrays-as-hash-tables into real hash tables

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 11:14:57 +0900

Hi,

Gnus got not to work for groups of which the group name contains
non-ASCII letters.  For instance, I got this error when trying
to update the "nnml:テスト" group using `M-g'[1]:

nnml:\343\203\206\343\202\271\343\203\210 error: No such group: テスト

When trying to enter the group using `0 RET'[2] I got:

Group nnml:\343\203\206\343\202\271\343\203\210 couldn't be activated

Those raw bytes are utf-8 encoded "テスト", that is also used in
the group entry in gnus-newsrc-alist saved in the ~/.newsrc.eld
file as follows:

("nnml:\343\203\206\343\202\271\343\203\210" 1 nil ((unexist) (seen (1 . 5))) "nnml:" ((timestamp 23704 11958)))

Such groups I have are only a few, mainly for testing, so not so
damaged though, I'm afraid there may be those who using them as
normal.  Info says that nntp, nnml, and nnrss back ends support
non-ASCII group names[3].

Regards,

[1] gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group
[2] gnus-group-select-group with the prefix arg 0
[3] (info "(gnus) Non-ASCII Group Names")

;; I did `make bootstrap' to recompile all the Gnus modules.