Subject: Re: bug#33653: 27.0.50; Change Gnus obarrays-as-hash-tables into real hash tables

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 13:57:20 -0700

Adam Sjøgren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric writes:
>
>> Okay, it might be as simple as the attached patch, applied to current
>> master. Basically this forces nnmail to always write the group names as
>> strings, which are then read correctly later on.
>>
>> Also cc'ing Bastien and Adam, who have been very helpful with
>> road-testing.
>
> I'm running with this patch now.
>
> I started by taking a copy of my .newsrc.eld, so I could return to it.
>
> I swear the first time I started Gnus from master with the patch, my
> groups with æøå showed up as previously. But then I stopped Emacs and
> copied the .newsrc.eld back, and somehow they did not show up again.
>
> It makes no sense to me, unless there is state somewhere besides
> .newsrc.eld that I don't know of.
>
> Since then Gnus from Emacs master with the patch has behaved as
> expected.
>
>
>   Slighly confused, but happy that it works,

Thank you for testing. This whole process has made me suspect my sanity
(or the interference of cosmic rays), so I'm kind of glad you're
confused, too :)

I am even now able to reproduce bugs *once* (for instance the "j" bug
Lars reported yesterday) in my testing setup (the gnus-mock package),
but not again thereafter. If I restart gnus-mock, I can reproduce it
once again, but only once.

I think once I eventually figure out why, the problem will be solved!