Subject: bug#33639: ISO installer image is broken on i686

From: "Thomas Schmitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 18:20:57 +0200

Hi,

Florian Pelz wrote:
> Yes, it seems fixed, I can confirm.

Way back in december, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>...> Based on this and on a suggestion Ricardo made on IRC, I passed
>...> -padding 10m and that solved the problem.  \o/

Please do not forget to remove this -padding command.

Florian Pelz wrote:
>  The content is different at the beginning of the ISO image
> (maybe padding or timestamps in the file system)

That's to expect if not environment SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is set and exported.

SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH belongs to the specs of reproducible-builds.org. It
is supposed to be either undefined or to contain a decimal number which
tells the seconds since january 1st 1970. If it contains a number, then
it is used for all timestamps and as seed of pseudo-random numbers like
MBR id or GPT UUIDs.

If all files and directories have the same names and the same content,
then xorriso runs with the same arguments and the same SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH
value are supposed to create byte-identical result ISOs.

In december, i wrote:
>...> >   Creation Time: 1970010119010649
Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>...> For reproducibility purposes we set timestamps and related things
>...> to the Epoch.

Is this independent of SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas