Subject: bug#33639: ISO installer image is broken on i686

From: Gábor Boskovits <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 11:57:45 +0200

Hello people,

Thomas Schmitt <[email-masked]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. ápr. 15., H, 19:54):
>
> Hi,
>
> Florian Pelz wrote:
> > Well this is strange.  I got fine ISO images each time (fine with no
> > complaints from xorriso or fdisk and bootable in QEMU without errors),
> > but after dd’ing them to different USB flash drives each time I get
> > kernel output when inserting the flash drive:
> > [   10.025223] GPT:Primary header thinks Alt. header is not at the end of
> > the disk.
>
> The alternative/backup header is a property of GPT which makes it
> rather unsuitable for disk images. xorriso puts it correctly into the
> last 512-byte block of the image. But when copied to a storage device,
> it should move up to the last block of the device.
> Even worse, the main GPT header at 512-byte LBA 1 needs to learn the
> new address.
>

Yes, this is a really painful point.

Could we create a simple tool to write the disk images to a disk
correcting this problem?

Does not look too hard?

I am also forwarding this to guix devel. I removed the xorriso bug
list, as I feel this does not belong there.

Best regards,
g_bor