Subject: Re: bug#33613: 25.2; mail-header-parse-address: scan-error "Unbalanced parenthesis" 7 32

From: micah anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 15:23:49 -0500

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> micah anderson wrote:
>
>> Yeah, the text that comes before the <[email-masked]> in an OpenPGP userID
>> is defined as arbitrary UTF-8 text, so it should not be considered to be
>> following any email address standard.
>
> OK, but there's a de facto standard [1] that it be a normal email
> address. GPG for example won't create a uid like the one in this report
> without --allow-freeform-uid, which "should only be used in very special
> environments".

You are right.

> [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-5.11
> "By convention, it includes an RFC 2822 mail name-addr"

yes, except when it doesn't.

That quote continues, here is the full thing:

"By convention, it includes an RFC 2822 [RFC2822] mail name-addr, but
there are no restrictions on its content."

I think we agree on this - these are not normal, they aren't
conventional, but mail-header-parse-address should be able to deal with
these cases.

-- 
        micah