Subject: Re: bug#33602: 27.0.50; Compiling no file at

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 15:04:05 +0000

>>>>> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

    > Hello, Markus.
    > On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 22:58:33 +0100, [email-masked] wrote:

    >> >Could you please tell us whether your .emacs (or other
    >> initialisation >file) performs byte compilation, and if so, what
    >> commands it does this >with.

    >> there is no byte compile during initialization. All the bytecode
    >> is untouched for years; without problems until recently.

    > Yes.  I put some enhancements into the byte compiler's warning
    > handler very recently, and suspect that has triggered some
    > existing problem, and that is what you are seeing.

    > Having grepped Emacs's source, it seems like the byte compiler is
    > the only bit that writes "Compiling no file at ..." to the buffer
    > *Compile-Log*.  There are quite a few Emacs functions which call
    > the byte compiler, even though they are not byte compilations
    > themselves.

    > Would you be prepared to help us with a bit of debugging?  What
    > would be useful is for you to "bisect" your .emacs file.

    > That is, comment out the second half of it (more or less), start
    > Emacs and note whether the silly warning happens.  If it does,
    > comment out the last three quarters (more or less) of .emacs, if
    > it doesn't, comment out the first quarter.  And so on.

    > This should quickly home in on the form in your .emacs which is
    > triggering the bug in Emacs.  Please tell us what this form is.
    > It would help greatly in solving the problem

    > @Colin: any chance you could do the same, please.

Ok, I'll have a go. It may take a while because my ~/.emacs is years old
in the making and *very* unstructured.

    >> Regards M

    > By the way, would you please leave in the mailing list address as
    > a Cc:, so that everybody can see what's happening.  Thanks!

Sorry about that. I thought I was posting to the list but obviously not.

Best wishes,