Subject: Re: bug#33602: 27.0.50; Compiling no file at

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Dec 2018 13:33:27 -0000

Hello, Markus.

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:

> (is that a late April Fools' Day prank?)
> after each restart, a *Compile-log* buffer reports
> Compiling no file at <any date>

This means that it was "compiling" an Emacs lisp form, and that rather
than being part of a source file, it was either an already evaluated
form, or was an Emacs-Lisp-Mode buffer.  I.e. it wasn't from a file ("no
file").

Maybe expressing the situation this way ("Compiling no file") is not
helpful.

By contrast, if you compiled a file with M-x byte-compile-file, the
message would say "Compiling bar/foo.el".

What is it that you're not happy with?  Is it the unhelpful message, or
the fact the the *Compile-log* buffer appears at all?

Could you please tell us whether your .emacs (or other initialisation
file) performs byte compilation, and if so, what commands it does this
with.

Thanks!

> In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 20, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.1)
>  of 2018-12-03 built on INDRA
> Repository revision: e5634aae531ce932ecb8d84243d690c7ca89bec3
> Repository branch: master
> Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.12003000
> System Description: Fedora 29 (Twenty Nine)

> Recent messages:
>>>>load time: Monday, December  3, 2018 20:15:49<<<
>>>>activated: themes<<<
> Desktop: 1 buffer restored.
> Loading /root/.emacs.d/framegeometry...done
> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-M-h C-a.
> Making completion list...
> smooth-scroll/.vscroll-aux: Beginning of buffer
> Making completion list...
> Quit
> Making completion list...

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).