Subject: [bug#33600] Using a CDN or some other mirror?

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:45:11 +0100

Hello,

Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Am 09.12.2018 um 14:58 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>>> I could try and ask a few organizations in my area, but I would need
>>> figures for this.
>> What would you need to know?  ‘guix weather’ can provide info about
>> storage size.
>
> I don't know yet, which info the admins need for a decision. FMPOV I'd
> says: Disk-space and traffic to be expected.
>
> `guix weather` only provides the disk-space, but even this is not
> obvious for me:
>
>   13912.1 MiB of nars (compressed)
>   41176.6 MiB on disk (uncompressed)
>
> From reading the manual, I assume 13.9 GB are required on the server
> (which is quite a lot IMHO). Is this correct?

If you’re running a caching proxy, you’ll need 13G.  However note that
it’s only for one architecture and one revision of Guix.  The total
space needed is obviously a function of time (number of Guix revisions
served) and number of architectures.

You could choose an expiration time in your caching proxy that satisfies
your disk space constraints, though.

Our machines that run Cuirass + ‘guix publish --cache’ need roughly
41+13G since they contain both /gnu/store and /var/cache/guix/publish.

HTH!

Ludo’.