Subject: bug#33586: "updating substitutes" spam

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 08:00:30 +0100

Taylan Kammer <[email-masked]> writes:

> A minor issue, but I wanted to create a bug-report for this to make
> sure it's on the radar.
>
> During updates, guix may print this message hundreds of times:
>
>     substitute: updating substitutes from 'http://...' 100%
>
> Repetitions of this message should probably be coalesced into a single
> message.

Each of these messages is for a different substitute query.  We are
currently not showing the query, so it looks like the same work is done
multiple times.

The substitute queries are executed at different times.  Coalescing the
messages would mean that the messages for previous queries are delayed
until the last query is performed.  This would not be good.

I don’t know if we can reorder the queries so that they all happen at
once.

--
Ricardo