Subject: Re: bug#33571: 26.1.90; Artifacts in echo area

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 15:18:54 -0800

Live System User wrote:
>    I am seeing:
> 
>         C-g-
> 
>    remaining in the echo area (please note trailing hyphen "-") in
>    Emacs 27.

If I run 'emacs -Q' and type C-g, I see "Quit" in the echo area.

Perhaps you meant "C-c"? If I run 'emacs -Q' and type C-c and wait, I see "C-c-" 
in the echo area (with the trailing hyphen). However, that's normal and the 
behavior of Emacs hasn't changed there in quite some time. The trailing hyphen 
advises the user to type another keystroke in that context.

In the past, Emacs has had problems where the echo area wasn't cleared properly, 
and it sounds like you're seeing a bug in that area. However, I doubt whether 
any such bug is related to my recent changes to keyboard.c in the emacs-26 
branch. As Eli suggested, to debug your problem we'll need a complete 
stand-alone recipe for reproducing your problem, starting from 'emacs -Q'.