Subject: bug#33571: 26.1.90; Artifacts in echo area

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 22:17:07 -0500

Hi,

        After a "git pull" and make of Emacs 26.1.90, I am
        now seeing artifacts in the echo area.

        I have "C-c g" bound to "magit-status".

        After executing "C-c g" I get the results but see in the
        echo area:

             C-c g

        This remains in the echo area until another key is pressed.

        Additionaly, this same behavior occurs in the latest Emacs 27
        which displays:

              C-c g-

        (Note the trailing hyphen "-" in Emacs 27 only.  Let me know
        if this should be reported to Emacs 27 bugtracker  separately).

        Could it be related to the recent changes to keyboard.c?

        Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 26.1.90 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2018-12-01 built on localhost.localdomain
Repository revision: af914fc26db273d8788e7efa57c569f0f778d037
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Recent messages:
354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
Sending email 
250 OK , completed
Sending email done
221 Service Closing transmission
Sending...done
Discard changes to this group and exit? (y or n) y
D is undefined
Saving file /home/liveuser/.emacs.d/url/cookies...
Wrote /home/liveuser/.emacs.d/url/cookies

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O0 -ggdb3 -pipe -Wall
 -Werror=format-security -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 --prefix=/tmp/nff/de2/fedora-emacs-src/emacs-26.1.90 --with-dbus
 --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-lcms2 --with-tiff
 --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=yes
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  gnus-desktop-notify-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(mailalias smtpmail pp shadow emacsbug sendmail sort gnus-cite smiley
ansi-color mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive timezone url-http url-gw
url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder cl-extra
help-mode network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp gnus-desktop-notify
easy-mmode notifications dbus xml epa-file nnreddit mm-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs url-vars json map gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage starttls
sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain advice nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib nnoo
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 291071 139900)
 (symbols 48 127066 63)
 (miscs 40 131 868)
 (strings 32 121111 14669)
 (string-bytes 1 4191085)
 (vectors 16 29630)
 (vector-slots 8 974175 83788)
 (floats 8 221 1257)
 (intervals 56 2540 753)
 (buffers 992 38)
 (heap 1024 81121 1024096))