Subject: bug#33564: Incorrect path canonicalisation

From: Mattias Andrée <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 21:35:14 +0100

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 21:27:27 +0100
Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Dez 01 2018, Mattias Andrée <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > Emacs 26.1 removes ..'s incorrectly from file names.
> > Emacs removes the directory in front the .. rather than
> > getting its parent directory.  
> 
> This is deliberate.  Emacs never consults the filesystem when
> canonicalizing filenames, as documented in expand-file-name.  This is
> consistent with the logical view of the filesystem, and how the shell
> builtin cd handles it.

What is the rationale for this? No other program Bash and Emacs
behave this way, including the coreutils.

It seems odd that the Bash suggest file from the wrong directory
so that even the coreutils cannot find them, only Emacs.

> Andreas.