Subject: bug#33548: closed (Re: bug#33548: 25.1; GUD GDB doesn't decode file paths correctly)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 07:40:01 +0000

Your bug report

#33548: 25.1; GUD GDB doesn't decode file paths correctly

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33548: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33548
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#33548: 25.1; GUD GDB doesn't decode file paths correctly
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: ksqsf <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 09:39:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: ksqsf <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 10:03:19 +0800
> Feedback-ID: bizesmtp:ksqsf.moe:qybgforeign:qybgforeign4
> 
> 在 2018-11-29四的 21:35 +0200，Eli Zaretskii写道：
> > Does it help to set gdb-mi-decode-strings to utf-8?
> 
> Yes! This fixes this problem for me. Thanks. This report can be closed
> now.

Done.

> I think this variable deserves a mention in the doc anyway.

What documentation did you have in mind?

> Actually it should be made default.

No, I don't think so.  It has some confusing side effects, and in most
cases is unnecessary.

> I noticed the warning, but can we do better? I mean, simply stops gdb
> from escaping strings (does gdb even support this?), as _inconsistent_
> escaping does nothing but introducing problems.

You can tell GDB to stop escaping in strings ("set print
sevenbit-strings", which is off by default), but GDB is under user
control, and the user is legitimately allowed to turn escaping on, we
cannot do anything about that.  Plus, there are GDB settings to
control the encoding of text strings that GDB emits based on values of
the variables of the program being debugged.

> LLDB seems to do better job in this regard.

??? LLDB doesn't have a respectable implementation of the MI protocol
to begin with.

Subject: 25.1; GUD GDB doesn't decode file paths correctly
From: ksqsf <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 00:58:34 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear maintainers,

It seems that GDB MI doesn't decode file paths correctly, which can
result in some really weird unexpected behaviors.

For example, it attempts to find file
/home/ksqsf/我的坚果云/"/home/ksqsf/\346\210\221\347\232\204\345\235\232\346
\236\234\344\272\221/code.cpp"

I traced down to the source and found that gdb-get-source-file, gdb-
get-source-file-list, and gdb-get-location don't decode file paths
using a correct coding system. (In my case, UTF-8.) Instead, they
simply use 'read'.

Hope this can be fixed soon!

Regards,
_rika