Subject: bug#33532: 26.1; set-window-configuration does not restore display start

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 10:16:59 +0100

> Again, no support for window configurations and non-writable window
 > states.  But maybe it's possible to access all buffer's windows,
 > even windows in window configurations/states, and changes their
 > window points, including previous buffers' points in window
 > configurations/states.

How would we handle window configurations?  We could add a new
variable say 'window-configuration-list' and make sure that
configurations accessible from that variable are scanned by revert
buffer functions.  Applications and users would be responsible for
removing a configuration from that list when it's no more needed.

But we also need accessor/setter functions for Lisp slots like the
windows stored in the configuration and for any such window its list
of previous and next buffers (where "any such window" could be a
deleted one).  Doable but certainly non-trivial.

Window states would have to be handled in a similar way.  But there
the task would be simpler: Add a variable, say 'window-states-list'
and if a state is on that list, reverting a buffer could scan it right
away.  Doable but still requires some work.

 > BTW, I understand why reverting a dired buffer moves its point-marker to
 > the beginning of the buffer in the selected window window restored from
 > a window configuration.  But I don't understand why point-marker is
 > moved to the end of the dired buffer in non-selected window restored
 > from a window configuration.

I have no idea either.

martin