Subject: Re: bug#33532: 26.1; set-window-configuration does not restore display start

From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 18:58:30 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> In such use cases, I want to restore the exact same text in all buffers,
>> and then restore the window configuration, including display starts.
>
> Please propose how to do that.  If it can be done ion a useful manner,
> I don't see why we shouldn't.

In my opinion, one way to do it is to have current-window-configuration
store the window-start internally as an integer (instead of a marker),
denoting the position of the display start.

Then, set-window-configuration could set the window-start to that
position.

Would that work? At least that is how I currently work around the issue.

> Well, you get everything _excluding_ the window-start.  I think it's
> still a bargain.

It is! However, the documentation suggests that it is even better, when
it's currently not.

All the best,
Markus