Subject: Re: [bug#33514] shepherd: fix bootstrap/build from git

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 17:31:16 +0100

Hi Florian,

Florian Dold <[email-masked]> skribis:

> the Shepherd currently does not build from a clean git repository (on
> GuixSD in a shepherd environment), as "autoreconf -ifv" does not create
> missing files related to gettext unless the version is specified.
>
> This tiny patch fixes the gettext version and allows bootstrapping to
> work from a clean git checkout.

Good catch, applied!

> By the way, shouldn't there also be a "./bootstrap" shell script, as is
> customary in a lot of projects including Guix?

FWIW I prefer to just run “autoreconf -vfi”, which is what ‘./bootstrap’
does in Guix.  ‘./bootstrap’ scripts tend to have different semantics
between projects (some run ‘./configure’, some don’t, etc.) so I like to
keep it simple.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.