Subject: Re: bug#3351: 23.0.93; OSX sound support

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 18:25:25 +0800

On 2009-05-22 21:31 +0800, Alex Schröder wrote:
> In GNU Emacs 23.0.93.2 (i386-apple-darwin8.11.1, NS apple-appkit-824.48)
>  of 2009-05-22 on Pyrobombus.local
> Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.824
> configured using `configure  '--with-ns''
>
> I'm using Mac OS 10.4.11 and when I try to (play-sound '(sound :file
> "/some/file")) I get the error "This Emacs binary lacks sound
> support".
>
> I think no Emacs is complete without sound support. ;)

I am using this small function to give me sound support on OSX:
https://raw.github.com/leoliu/play-sound-osx/master/play-sound.el

Two conscious abuses (can be fixed):

 - misuse (signal 'wrong-type-argument (list sound)); it requires the
   first item of DATA to be a predicate but I decided not to add another
   function.

 - async; should probably use call-process to stay close to the C
   version.

BTW, I only remember once in the past years needing the feature.

Leo