Subject: bug#33498: 26.1; Unable to delete minibuffer-only+child frames

From: Andreas Politz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 20:33:06 +0100

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> [...]  What I mean is the usual expanding/shrinking of the minibuffer
> window you can observe on a normal minibuffer equipped frame.  For
> example, via (message"\n\n").

I see.

> For internal reasons each live frame must have a minibuffer window.
> This is hardcoded in a couple of internal routines and if you remove
> that restriction (it's the "Attempt to delete a surrogate minibuffer
> frame" in frame.c) [...]

I don't mean to remove that restriction.  But in this case, where the
parent is deleted and the child is the parent's minibuffer-frame (and
there are no other frame using this minibuffer-frame) this restriction
doesn't seem to apply, at least on a conceptual level.

>From the point of a user, this means that he either needs to advise
`delete-frame' or use a different command in order to delete these kinds
of frames.

Andreas