Subject: Re: bug#33465: [PATCH] gnu: rust: Don't depend on 'git'.

From: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 11:53:00 +0000

Hi Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd prefer if the git parts were removed in a new phase "remove-git-tests" and
> that phase removed (ha) in the newest rust - otherwise we never test rust git
> integration.
>
> Then the substitution wouldn't need to be duplicated either.

Alternatively, if we go with removing tests althogether when building
rust for bootstrapping, we can also remove non-essential native inputs
such as git and gdb.  And then we can keep all of them for the final
rust.

As with Marius, I don't have a strong opinion on this, I just thought
I'd mention it as a possibility to speedup rust's build process. I can
submit a patch in a separate ticket if you think it's a good idea.

Thanks!
Pierre