Subject: Re: bug#33458: 27.0.50; dired loses position when reverted from outside place

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:32:53 +0100

>> A more generic solution might be wanted for other auto-revert clients
 >> as well.  But that's more hairy and not of much use for dired anyway.
 >
 > Is it possible to fix all these problems by not resetting markers to the
 > beginning of the reverted buffer, but allowing markers to keep their
 > previous positions in reverted buffers?

It might work often.  But in the cases whehre it does not work it will
cause so much confusion that we won't get through with it.  AFAICT
even the current point restoring mechanism bows out when characters
are added/removed at the beginning of the buffer.

 > Or maybe reverting functions
 > should be more smart to restore markers using remembered context,
 > like e.g. bookmarks do.

Indeed.  Although doing that incorrectly might be even more annoying.
Always think of two identical text passages and a reverting function
move a marker from one to the other.  IIUC, this can only be avoided
by scanning the entire text for identical passages and never revert a
marker when one is found.

martin