Subject: bug#33458: 27.0.50; dired loses position when reverted from outside place

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 22:45:18 +0200

> The only solution I can think of is to have 'dired-restore-positions'
> scan 'window-prev-buffers' for each window and if it finds the buffer
> that was reverted there, update the associated point position to the
> position of the buffer's point it calculated itself.  If you want to
> give it a try I can tell you everything you need to know.

I have the same problem with reverting Dired buffers that later
are restored from window states and window configurations.

Moreover, a similar problem is also an obstacle in bug#32536,
please see a detailed explanation I posted now there where
the reverted Man buffer invalidates markers in the Occur buffer.

> A more generic solution might be wanted for other auto-revert clients
> as well.  But that's more hairy and not of much use for dired anyway.

Is it possible to fix all these problems by not resetting markers to the
beginning of the reverted buffer, but allowing markers to keep their
previous positions in reverted buffers?  Or maybe reverting functions
should be more smart to restore markers using remembered context,
like e.g. bookmarks do.