Subject: Re: bug#33458: 27.0.50; dired loses position when reverted from outside place

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:02:57 +0100

> Playing with patched dired.el I can see error message in some cases
 > while buffer creating, deleting and selecting:
 >
 > "wrong-type-argument stringp nil"

Are you sure you've seen this happening _after_ my last fix two days
ago?  Because if 'dired-goto-file' _now_ chokes on (nth 1 prev) this
should be due to any other value but nil.

 > +                             (ignore-errors
 > +                               (dired-goto-file (nth 1 prev))))

If you still see an error now we can do that.  It should never harm.
But for the moment I'm mostly curious whether you can still see the
"wrong-type-argument stringp nil" message.

 > May be we need same treatment for other `dired-goto-file' lines or make
 > more general check for `prev's structure?

All these are heuristics based on the idea that in most cases a file
is still present after reverting its directory's list of files.  Yet,
'dired-goto-file' should not choke on a file name previously produced
by 'dired-get-filename'.

Thanks, martin