Subject: Re: bug#33452: Color of tooltip text on macOS with dark mode

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 18:10:49 +0000

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 12:29:53PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 19:44:58 +0000
> > From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Tak Kunihiro <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> > 
> > I expect it was commit 15cd18991c1d9a9bafeef7bf9b4dad91ecc0332a.
> 
> Are you saying that tooltips on NS couldn't use colors before that
> change?  Or was that color support broken at some point?  If the
> latter, when was it broken and by what changeset?

Tooltips on NS couldn’t use colours before that change.

What happened is that tooltips set the background to yellow and left
the foreground (text) to be the system default (black).

MacOS Mojave has introduced ‘dark mode’, which makes the foreground
colour light, and therefore we’re seeing light text on a yellow
background.

If you don’t want to apply the above commit the absolute minimum fix
for emacs-26 would be to explicitly set a foreground colour for
tooltips, or not set the background, therefore reverting to the system
default.

-- 
Alan Third