Subject: Re: bug#33450: 26.1.90; NEWS entry for dired 'Z' is inaccurate

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 13:18:54 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> And indeed NEWS.25 says "The command 'dired-do-compress', bound to 'Z',
>> now can compress directories", so NEWS.26 is duplicating that.
>
> I see no harm in that, as the NEWS.26 text is more complete and
> accurate (it talks about decompression as well, for starters).

I find this odd.
95% of the 'Z' NEWS.26 entry is true in Emacs 25.1 (by experiment).
The only thing that's different in 26.1 is the .tgz treatment.
This hardly seems NEWS-worthy.

If you for some reason want to keep the expanded entry in NEWS.26, it
should at least be corrected to say "This change was actually made in
Emacs 25.1, but the NEWS entry was too terse" (or however you want to
justfiy re-visiting it). It is incorrect to say "This change was
actually made in Emacs 26.1".

But I think it would be better to move your description from NEWS to the
doc string.