Subject: Re: bug#33445: Say "U+1F52E"

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 11:28:59 +0200

> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 06:44:35 +0100 (CET)
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Werner LEMBERG <[email-masked]>
> 
> I would like to see
> 
>   U+1F52E CRYSTAL BALL

Given that the current display is

	       position: 588 of 1015 (58%), column: 2
	      character: 🔮 (displayed as 🔮) (codepoint 128302, #o372456, #x1f52e)
      preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
  code point in charset: 0x1F52E
		 script: symbol
		 syntax: w 	which means: word
	       category: .:Base
	       to input: type "C-x 8 RET 1f52e" or "C-x 8 RET CRYSTAL BALL"
	    buffer code: #xF0 #x9F #x94 #xAE
	      file code: #xF0 #x9F #x94 #xAE (encoded by coding system utf-8)
		display: by this font (glyph code)
      uniscribe:-outline-Symbola-normal-normal-normal-serif-15-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1 (#x1AE4)

  Character code properties: customize what to show
    name: CRYSTAL BALL

With the codepoint shown 3 times above the name, why would you want it
displayed yet another time?  Isn't that highly redundant?

Emacs displays this information for Emacs users.  "C-x =" is a
general-purpose command, not a command intended for learning Unicode
or perusing Unicode blocks.  If someone writes a command for viewing
Unicode blocks, I can understand why U+1F52E should be there.  But
this is not that case.