Subject: bug#33445: Say "U+1F52E"

From: Werner LEMBERG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 06:44:35 +0100 (CET)

>> I second that.  It might be a small difference to people who are
>> well acquainted with Emacs coding systems.  However, I believe that
>> Joe User would prefer the `U+' notation.  (I have a good knowledge
>> of coding systems, and even I would prefer to see the `U+' prefix
>> :-)
> 
> This is not about coding systems at all.  The codepoint is shown at
> least twice in the display, just without the U+ prefix.
> 
> The display produced by that function is already cluttered beyond
> hope, so much so that many important details evade you until you
> actually read each and every symbol.

Well, this is a different issue.

> Adding the U+ to them (where, exactly?) would make aa bad situation
> even worse, for very little gain.
> 
> The proper Unicode name of the character, CRYSTAL BALL, is shown in
> the display.

I would like to see

  U+1F52E CRYSTAL BALL

    Werner