Subject: Re: bug#33445: Say "U+1F52E"

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 05:40:41 +0200

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 22:46:52 +0100 (CET)
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Werner LEMBERG <[email-masked]>
> 
> I second that.  It might be a small difference to people who are well
> acquainted with Emacs coding systems.  However, I believe that Joe
> User would prefer the `U+' notation.  (I have a good knowledge of
> coding systems, and even I would prefer to see the `U+' prefix :-)

This is not about coding systems at all.  The codepoint is shown at
least twice in the display, just without the U+ prefix.

The display produced by that function is already cluttered beyond
hope, so much so that many important details evade you until you
actually read each and every symbol.  Adding the U+ to them (where,
exactly?) would make aa bad situation even worse, for very little
gain.

The proper Unicode name of the character, CRYSTAL BALL, is shown in
the display.