Subject: bug#33435: 27.0.50; A use case for recursive display specifications

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 02:20:07 +0200

Pip Cet <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 7:37 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > This is a feature request: I'd like to be able to display an empty line
>> > as a non-empty line with images in it.
>>
>> I don't think I understand this.  Can you elaborate what that means?
>>
>> In case I did understand: did you try an overlay with after-string
>> that has an image display property on it?
>
> First, thanks for the suggestion; sorry, it simply hadn't occurred to
> me that after/before-string can do things display specifications
> cannot.
>
> Obviously I'm still thinking of a display-propertized display
> specification string as the more natural thing to do, and things are
> slightly different (cursor placement, modifications, highlighting of
> included text) with the after-string solution, but I'll try to get
> things working that way. Thanks again.

Is this feature request still relevant, or did Eli's reply solve this
use case?  Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas