Subject: Re: bug#33431: [PATCH] gnu: Add yarn

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:10:00 -0400

Hello Andrea,

Andrea Frigido <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Jelle,
> thank for the review.
>
> The tarball comes from the official releases page of yarn:
> https://github.com/yarnpkg/yarn/releases
> I followed the same process of the nix package:
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/1a4498d1328e8dd74a8099f16972224c87d01358/pkgs/development/tools/yarn/default.nix#L23
>
> I thought it was an acceptable way of packaging this software.

Nix doesn't commit to offer only free software, for one.

> Is there a policy in Guix about this that I need to follow?

The policy for GNU Guix is that of the GNU Free Software Distribution
Guidelines (FSDG) [0].  We also typically do the utmost to fully
bootstrap things from sources, compared to other distributions.

Its seems the issues raised by Jelle are blocking progress on this
package submission.  Babel seems a complicated piece of software that
will take some effort to get packaged in Guix.

I'll close this ticket as it is not actionable and probably won't be in
the near future.

Please resubmit when the missing packages to fully build from sources
have been added.

Thank you!

Maxim