Subject: 26.1; hl-line face used as default

From: "E. Choroba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 22:37:57 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

When I use emacs 24.3.1 and run

   /usr/bin/emacs -Q

Then M-< followed by M-x global-hl-line-mode and M-x describe-face, emacs asks 
me

Describe face (default `font-lock-comment-delimiter-face'):

But when I use 26.1 and run

   /usr/local/bin/emacs -Q

and run exactly the same commands, emacs asks me

Describe face (default ‘hl-line’):

I have to turn hl-line off to get the name of the point's face. This makes the 
default value of the function useless.

It seems that

   (get-char-property (point) 'face)

returns hl-line in 26.1, but returns the actual face in 24.3.1.

See also 
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/45492/hl-line-face-used-as-default-in-26-1

Thanks,

Ch.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.4)
  of 2018-09-10 built on still
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	openSUSE Leap 42.3

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/choroba/1.sh
Saving file /home/choroba/1.sh...
Wrote /home/choroba/1.sh
Saving file /home/choroba/graphics...
Wrote /home/choroba/graphics
Quit [2 times]
GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.4) of 
2018-09-10
Making completion list...
Quit
Making completion list...

Configured using:
  'configure --with-kerberos5=yes --with-x-toolkit=motif --with-x=yes'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MOTIF X11 THREADS

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   worktime-minor-mode: t
   savehist-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/choroba/.emacs.d/elpa/web-mode-20180813.1350/web-mode hides 
/home/choroba/elisp/web-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils crm
thingatpt sh-script smie executable hippie-exp comint ansi-color ring
cl-extra help-mode edmacro kmacro misearch multi-isearch rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode dom nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok elec-pair
delsel cus-start cus-load finder-inf info package epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
easy-mmode server htmlize cl-seq tinytalk derived cl-macs cl gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib session dired-x easymenu dired dired-loaddefs
savehist hl-line time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting motif x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 297507 16148)
  (symbols 48 30815 1)
  (miscs 40 145 696)
  (strings 32 85192 2817)
  (string-bytes 1 2128740)
  (vectors 16 26660)
  (vector-slots 8 709666 17660)
  (floats 8 80 585)
  (intervals 56 4368 505)
  (buffers 992 20)
  (heap 1024 49963 1694))