Subject: RE: bug#33417: display-buffer problems

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 22:53:01 -0500

[Original message got garbled, rending...]

Hi,

        In my setup (.e.g not emacs -Q):
        
        While viewing the *Help* buffer which was the only window
        on the frame, I typed "M-x list-timers"

split-window: Window #<window 266 on *Messages*> too small for splitting

window-normalize-window: #<window 279> is not a valid window

split-window: Window #<window 505 on window.el> too small for splitting

        And again:

Features:
        Typing the command again, I got:

        Each time the buffer where the "M-x list-timers" command was
        executed was *Help* and was a single window on the frame.

g--text follows this line--

        "C-x 2" (split-window-below) works fine.

Hi,

        I then saw:

        How can I debug this?

        Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 87, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2018-11-15 built on localhost.localdomain
Repository revision: 35a88c809e9eb5a32dd8d7f0dae960021f4cd707
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
System Description: Fedora 24 (Workstation Edition)

Recent messages:
Checking new news...done
Retrieving newsgroup: nnimap+aol:Bulk Mail...
Opening nnimap server on aol...done
Fetching headers for nnimap+aol:Bulk Mail...
nnimap read 0k from imap.aim.com [5 times]
Fetching headers for nnimap+aol:Bulk Mail...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Discard changes to this group and exit? (y or n) y
Auto-saving...done

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O0 -ggdb3 -pipe -Wall
 -Werror=format-security -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 --prefix=/tmp/emacs-27.0-git-master
 --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-lcms2
 --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=yes
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-json'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
JSON LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  gnus-desktop-notify-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

(shadow emacsbug face-remap mailalias smtpmail sendmail nnagent nnml
canlock smerge-mode diff-mode jka-compr gnus-notifications gnus-fun sort
gnus-cite smiley ansi-color mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml
disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive timezone url-http
url-gw url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder gnutls
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-cache pp cl-print cl-extra thingatpt help-fns radix-tree
help-mode gnus-demon nntp gnus-desktop-notify easy-mmode notifications
dbus xml epa-file nnreddit mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs url-vars json
map gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl sieve
sieve-mode sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain advice
nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib nnoo
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch elec-pair
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 635297 85000)
 (symbols 48 174934 18)
 (strings 32 168679 6874)
 (string-bytes 1 5626914)
 (vectors 16 34638)
 (vector-slots 8 1499799 190812)
 (floats 8 228 1691)
 (intervals 56 1741 138)
 (buffers 992 57)
 (heap 1024 115861 54120))