Subject: bug#33417: display-buffer problems

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 20:36:47 +0100

>> Doesn't (setq debug-on-error t) give you a backtrace of the
 >> 'split-window' error?
 >
 >    No.
 >
 >    I actually typed "M-x toggle-debug-on-error" which amounts to
 >    the same thing:
 >
 > debug-on-error is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
 > Its value is t
 > Original value was nil
 >
 >           There was no additional information and no *Backtrace*.
 >

Bad.  I have no idea whether this means that the 'split-window' call
was wrapped in a condition-case and if so why you get the errors then.
Does the failure happen when you are in the *scratch* buffer and do
M-x list-timers?  Can you try to edebug 'split-window' and get a
backtrace before it throws an error?

 >    Yes, I type "SPC" to temporarily enable the command.

So the *Disabled Command* window pops up, you type SPC, the *Disabled
Command* window disappears and then the errors above are thrown?  Is
that what you see?

If you make an exact copy of 'list-timers', call it 'my-list-timers'
and invoke it via M-x my-list-timers: Does it throw the same errors?

martin