Subject: [bug#33405] [PATCH 00/10] De-monadify and clean up system code

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 10:21:03 +0100

Hello Guix!

Here’s a South-hemisphere spring cleanup of the system code.  Mostly it
removes monadic forms here and there, which in turn simplifies the code
and reduces the number of lines (yay!).

There’s one user-visible change: ‘base-initrd’ and ‘raw-initrd’ are no
longer monadic, so people who were using them in their ‘initrd’ field
can be bitten by this incompatible.  I think it’s OK though, because
in practice people either no longer use the ‘initrd’ field now that
there’s ‘initrd-modules’, or if they use ‘initrd’, they simply tail-call
to ‘raw-initrd’ or ‘base-initrd’, in which case the type of its return
value doesn’t matter much.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (10):
  bootloader: De-monadify configuration file generators.
  system: Simplify kernel argument handling.
  linux-initrd: Return file-like objects instead of monadic values.
  system: De-monadify 'operating-system-boot-parameters'.
  system: Please Emacs.
  system: De-monadify 'operating-system-bootcfg'.
  vm: Remove explicit calls to 'operating-system-derivation'.
  guix system: Simplify bootloader package handling.
  guix system: De-monadify bootloader installation script.
  guix system: Clarify 'perform-action'.

 doc/guix.texi               |  14 +--
 gnu/bootloader/extlinux.scm |   6 +-
 gnu/bootloader/grub.scm     | 104 +++++++++----------
 gnu/bootloader/u-boot.scm   |   5 -
 gnu/system.scm              | 162 ++++++++++++++---------------
 gnu/system/linux-initrd.scm |  13 ++-
 gnu/system/vm.scm           | 202 +++++++++++++++++-------------------
 guix/scripts/system.scm     |  89 ++++++++--------
 8 files changed, 285 insertions(+), 310 deletions(-)

-- 
2.19.1