Subject: 23.0.93; Customization of printer-name

From: "Francis Wright" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 13:00:52 +0100

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing
list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Start Emacs 23 with the -Q option (using MS Windows Vista).
Open a customization buffer for the variable printer-name.
Click on the Value Menu button and select Name.
The whole line after Name: AND THE NEXT LINE turn grey.
Enter the name printer.
Click the State button and select Set for Current Session.
Use C-x v to display the value of the variable printer-name. It shows:

printer-name is a variable defined in `lpr.el'.
Its value is 
"printer\n   State: EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set
or save it."

Customize is picking up the line below the input line in the customize
buffer as part of the input at the time when the customization is saved.

I looked at a few other variables with similar custom specifications,
but I can't find any others that show the same bug.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
c:/NTEmacs/emacs-23.0.93/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001)
 of 2009-05-02 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.0.6001
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENG
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <options> <customize> <customize-option> 
p r i n t e r - n a m e <return> <down-mouse-1> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> p r i n t e r 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> C-h v <up> <return> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<menu-bar> <file> <make-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <se
nd-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Creating customization items...
Loading lpr...done
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
To install your edits, invoke [State] and choose the Set operation
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.