Subject: bug#33399: closed (Re: bug#33399: 25.2; xclip fails to set X selection when using tramp)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 02:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#33399: 25.2; xclip fails to set X selection when using tramp

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33399: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33399
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#33399: 25.2; xclip fails to set X selection when using tramp
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ian Mackinnon <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 21:01:14 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> start-file-process looks like an odd choice and I can't remember why it
> was chosen. Feel free to change it.

OK, thanks.  I just pushed a corresponding change.
Should appear in v1.5 soon.

        Stefan

Subject: 25.2; xclip fails to set X selection when using tramp
From: Ian Mackinnon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:41:28 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When visiting a file with tramp and killing text with xclip-mode
enabled, the text gets sent to the kill-ring but the X clipboard does
not get set. Additionally, the xclip shell process does not close.

Steps to reproduce:

-   Ensure xclip is installed (In the shell: `which xclip`)
-   Install xclip Emacs package
-   Set variables `x-select-enable-clipboard` and/or
`x-select-enable-primary` to `t`.
-   Enable xclip (`M-x xclip-mode RET`)
-   Visit a file using tramp (eg. `/sudo:user@localhost:/tmp/tramp-file`)
-   Type some text
-   Select a region and kill it

Expected behaviour

-   Selected text gets sent to the kill-ring and X clipboard or primary
    buffer (this can be verified in the shell with `xclip -o -selection
primary` and/or
    `xclip -o -selection clipboard`.
-   xclip processes exit cleanly

Observed behaviour

-   Selected text gets sent to the kill-ring, but not the X clipboard or
    primary buffers.
-   xclip processes do not terminate (user is warned that they are still
    running when exiting Emacs).
-   Further, yanking text at this point causes the contents of the X
    clipboard or primary buffer to be inserted at the tip of the
    kill-ring so that gets yanked instead of the killed text.

Workarounds

As suggested in Emacs StackExchange by user Stefan
(https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/45991/7189) replacing
`start-file-process` with `start-process` in a copy of the xclip 1.4
source fixes this particular issue though whether this causes any
unwanted side effects has not been extensively tested.

--

In GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.23.2)
 of 2018-08-27, modified by Debian built on lgw01-amd64-037
System Description: Ubuntu 18.10

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --build x86_64-linux-gnu
 --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-nDyT48/emacs-25.2+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
C-x C-g is undefined

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils term/xterm xterm
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 89350 6746)
 (symbols 48 19877 0)
 (miscs 40 40 121)
 (strings 32 14378 4594)
 (string-bytes 1 411363)
 (vectors 16 9777)
 (vector-slots 8 385958 16769)
 (floats 8 166 359)
 (intervals 56 247 0)
 (buffers 976 18))