Subject: bug#33398: 26.1, netbsd-8; Hi Lock Faces, Hi Green B, default setting suggestion

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 09:16:43 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 00:29:21 +0200
> 
> > I don't see how "gold" can be translated to "red", sorry.  It
> > translates to yellow shades on both 8- and 16-color TTYs, as expected.
> > Did you try "IndianRed" instead?
> 
> Unfortunately, "IndianRed" is so dark that it's unreadable.
> Whereas "Gold" is so prefect, that I can't find a replacement.
> But are translations really required?  I created a definition
> that works well on all environments (I see that "gold" looks good
> on a graphical terminal, but on a 256-color TTY "orange" is better).
> Do you see a problem with these best-looking faces?

Yes, I definitely see a problem when a face called "hi-gold" is
displayed as red on some devices.

Are you saying that none of the shades of red in rgb.txt is good
enough to use on GUI frames where "red" is used on TTYs?  I find that
hard to believe.  What about DarkOrange, what about Coral, what about
OrangeRed, what about LightSalmon[1-3], what about sienna[1-3], what
about IndianRed1, what about tomato[1-3], chocolate[1-3], etc.?  Call
it "hi-reddish" if you must, just don't have something called "gold"
look red on TTYs, please.